Monday, September 08, 2008

Look, there is not noon!

Leer esta entrada en español.

After a few weeks in Sweden my main problem is geography. Not just because I don't know where the north is, is because coming from a tropical country you assume some things, like the sun movement. The sun is in the east in the morning, in the west in the afternoon, and is just above you at midday. Also the sun rises at 6 AM and sets at 6 PM, with a few minutes difference along the year.

I can't get used to losing daylight everyday. My first day here had almost 16 hours of daylight. The sun rose just after 5 am, and set just before 9 pm. Now every day is shorter than the day before. You can see it. In the last two weeks it has lost 2 hours, and is going to lose another 90 minutes in the next two weeks. By September 22 (autumn equinox) the day will be exactly 12 hours long (from 7:15 to 7:15 in my city), and continue to get shorter until December 21.

And the day length is not the only thing that makes me feel strange. The sun never rises too high, not beyond 30˚, so it always feels like it is before 9 am or after 4 pm. You never feel the day actually passing. You have the morning, and then the afternoon without having the noon. It goes against my biological clock, making it difficult to follow a daily routine.

----

Something weird happen to my rice today. It got burnt, and sticky; something I was sure never happened with parbolized rice.

No comments: